Fear of tell tale sounds in sample libraries

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Fear of tell tale sounds in sample libraries

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 pm

ethios4 wrote:I see it as a continuum of sorts. On one extreme end you have the person who creates every single sound, using homemade synths, written in Csound...every single element is original. At the other end of the spectrum is the DJ who plays other people's tracks back to back with no mixing. So the Acid loops guy is close to the DJ...he's taking other people's loops and mixing them creatively, focusing on the arrangement of materials only, not on creating the materials. I'm closer to the other end, but I sometimes use loops and samples from libraries, synth presets. I like to create the most prominent elements from scratch though.

I remember seeing some video of some douchebag producer in the studio...don't remember who, maybe like Badboy Bill or some shit....he just walked around the studio listening in on what these other 3 guys were doing, saying "yea, that's cool lets use that", and "hey why don't you use that one loop for that part". He did nothing whatsoever himself except for one part where he recorded a few seconds of a record scratch and that was all. Now I could see that being a cool way to work...he's sort of like the director of a movie...except the music was totally lame generic dance music, nothing original or groundbreaking or technically impressive about it at all. He was making a lot of money though.
Yeah but DJs usually aren't presenting the songs they mix as songs they created from scratch. Now you can do a lot of interesting things and manipulation with music that is purely loop and sample based on a fairly small budget. Back then Acid was little more than a loop player and possibly only played loops you bought from Sony or their affiliates.

I went to a studio once where Skinny Puppy had recently done a session. I'm not a huge Skinny Puppy fan so I can't drop names even if I wanted to, but basically there was one really basic loop being played through headphones. One member was isolated in one room just tweaking away on synths playing over the loop. Another member was isolated in another room doing similar but unaware of what the other guy was doing. Then after that a third guy listened to what both guys came up with and pieced those tracks into the song. I believe there was a certain amount of drug usage involved. Sounds like an interesting way to work on music together but indirectly.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm

beats me wrote:
ethios4 wrote:I see it as a continuum of sorts. On one extreme end you have the person who creates every single sound, using homemade synths, written in Csound...every single element is original. At the other end of the spectrum is the DJ who plays other people's tracks back to back with no mixing. So the Acid loops guy is close to the DJ...he's taking other people's loops and mixing them creatively, focusing on the arrangement of materials only, not on creating the materials. I'm closer to the other end, but I sometimes use loops and samples from libraries, synth presets. I like to create the most prominent elements from scratch though.

I remember seeing some video of some douchebag producer in the studio...don't remember who, maybe like Badboy Bill or some shit....he just walked around the studio listening in on what these other 3 guys were doing, saying "yea, that's cool lets use that", and "hey why don't you use that one loop for that part". He did nothing whatsoever himself except for one part where he recorded a few seconds of a record scratch and that was all. Now I could see that being a cool way to work...he's sort of like the director of a movie...except the music was totally lame generic dance music, nothing original or groundbreaking or technically impressive about it at all. He was making a lot of money though.
Yeah but DJs usually aren't presenting the songs they mix as songs they created from scratch. Now you can do a lot of interesting things and manipulation with music that is purely loop and sample based on a fairly small budget. Back then Acid was little more than a loop player and possibly only played loops you bought from Sony or their affiliates.

I went to a studio once where Skinny Puppy had recently done a session. I'm not a huge Skinny Puppy fan so I can't drop names even if I wanted to, but basically there was one really basic loop being played through headphones. One member was isolated in one room just tweaking away on synths playing over the loop. Another member was isolated in another room doing similar but unaware of what the other guy was doing. Then after that a third guy listened to what both guys came up with and pieced those tracks into the song. I believe there was a certain amount of drug usage involved. Sounds like an interesting way to work on music together but indirectly.

8O Kind of an "anti-collaborative" collaboration ? :?

Me thinks, "Yes" drugs were involved. Lots and lots of drugs. 8)

Great guys BTW.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:57 pm

ChiDJ wrote:
beats me wrote:Yeah but DJs usually aren't presenting the songs they mix as songs they created from scratch. Now you can do a lot of interesting things and manipulation with music that is purely loop and sample based on a fairly small budget. Back then Acid was little more than a loop player and possibly only played loops you bought from Sony or their affiliates.

8O Kind of an "anti-collaborative" collaboration ? :?

Me thinks, "Yes" drugs were involved. Lots and lots of drugs. 8)

Great guys BTW.
Never met them but I do remember the main guy from Information Society used to spend a lot of nights roller skating around the dance floor at SF Goth nights. I suppose that's another creative way to hear what's being played, get inspiration, and at the same time avoid getting bombarded by fans.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

On a semi-related note, I've also been kind of inspired by the rash of video games with the epic sound design like is in these NI libraries and the use of songs from the 30's and 40's that kind of up the creepy factor for whatever reason. I think you'd get some interesting results if you mixed the songs from those eras with a trip hop or down tempo feeling. And I'm not entirely sure but you may not have to worry about copyright issues as much since they were recorded so long ago.