Setting up iPad core midi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sibanger

Re: Setting up iPad core midi

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 am

^^ 32 GB is heaps. 16 GB is enough if you're just running music apps.

Unless you plan to bang a shitload of photos, movies or music onto it.....

valhill

Post by valhill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:59 am

got it. that's what I thought. Thanks!

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I have heard bad things about Touchable. there is one comment in the apple store and it says stay away!
This guy did not update his Server application when updating touchAble to 1.2 (current version is 1.2.1, we're working on 1.3) so he encountered crashes.
We contacted him and pointed him in the right direction but he never replied again - nor did he change his "review" ;-)
touchAble should not crash - and should you run into any issues during setup or use you can be sure that we will be there to help :)

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:01 am

valhill wrote:
Mage2k wrote:
valhill wrote:Hey guys, which iPad2 do you recommend, 16Gb, 32Gb or 64GB? I'm not sure which one will be the best for music apps.
16GB, 32GB, and 64GB all refer to how much storage space you get which has no bearing on how the apps will perform. They all have the same processor and amount of RAM in them.
? I know what hard drive is:) Try to fill out 70-80% of your computer hard drive and I'll see how it'll perform. Of course it "has bearing". Especially with music programs. Unless Apple implemented in iPad some magic technology. I'm asking someone who works with iPad and has MANY music applications, like GarageBand, Korg and others. Not just one TouchAble controller and a couple of mp3 songs. Does iPad perform with no problem and 16GB is enough space? Kind of doubt...but not sure which one 32 or 64 will be enough. Thanks.
The iPad doesn't actually have a traditional hard drive. It's all flash storage. I was trying to give you a simple answer to your question in my previous reply that went sraight to the point, not to talk down to you: the amount of storage in the iPad has no bearing on the performance of the apps on it.

Even if it did have a traditional platter based hard drive the amount of storage wouldn't matter. What matters with them is their speed in rpms, revolutions per minute. You can get lower level than that if you want, too. You can benchmark them and rate them on their sequential read speed, their sequential write speed, their random read speed, their random write speed, and more. I'm a database administrator, it's my job to know these things.

valhill

Post by valhill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 am

I got it, thanks! In this case what do you think about iPad just for music applications, does it worth it?

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 pm

valhill wrote:I got it, thanks! In this case what do you think about iPad just for music applications, does it worth it?
I've only just started using mine for music but so far I love it! There are some pretty badass synth apps out now ;)

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 am

I just bought touchAble this weekend, and used it on the home WiFi net. Awesome, just awesome. I was up way too late Saturday night/Sunday morning, just playing with it.

batwings

Post by batwings » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm

So in the same vein: I'm running Ableton 8.2.2 on a PC laptop and would like to use my IPAD2 to use it as a keyboard when I'm DJing with Ableton via a USB cable (not wireless). Possible? I have the USB camera kit and a few IPAD apps, but not having success so far. I'm working the rest of my set with an APC40 and currently lug around a USB keyboard which is a hassle. Thanks in advance all...

Riley333

Post by Riley333 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 pm

kooperativ wrote:
I have heard bad things about Touchable. there is one comment in the apple store and it says stay away!
This guy did not update his Server application when updating touchAble to 1.2 (current version is 1.2.1, we're working on 1.3) so he encountered crashes.
We contacted him and pointed him in the right direction but he never replied again - nor did he change his "review" ;-)
touchAble should not crash - and should you run into any issues during setup or use you can be sure that we will be there to help :)
Touchable is awesome and rock solid. Riley :mrgreen:
HP DV7 4295us, i7 2630QM, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB Internal, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate,RME Firface UC,Ableton Live, Sonar X1, Maschine.

yehezkel

Post by yehezkel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 pm

setting up TouchOSC with CoreMIDI
here's a short VIDEO