Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
Acid303

Can Push Step Sequence Mono & Polyphonic Melodies In Key?

Post by Acid303 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Question

I have seen that you can step sequence drums using the push controller and that you can play chord and note in key but can you step sequence mono & polyphonic melodies in key? I've seen this with some ipad apps do this so was wondering if push can do it. It'd be a terrible shame if it couldn't really.

Ableton's Response

"At the moment there is only workarounds to use Push in step sequencer mode with other instruments than drumracks.

Still, we are aware of this wish and we are looking into various solutions here.

Keep in mind that Push will also integrate with Max for Live patches, so we are confident it will not take long until our users take Push to the next level!"

Pretty gutted about this. Are there any good monophonic / polyphonic step sequencers in max4live at the moment that are just a simple case of clicking on a plugin and using an apc40 or launchpad?

Muzik 4 Machines

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 pm

if th e 1998 mc505 could do polyphonic step sequencing, i really think a software in 2013 can do it

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:if th e 1998 mc505 could do polyphonic step sequencing, i really think a software in 2013 can do it
You would think so wouldn't you. According to ableton - not yet! At first I assumed it was a feature. Why wouldn't it be?! I might not bother with push now.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:55 am

Acid303 wrote:
Muzik 4 Machines wrote:if th e 1998 mc505 could do polyphonic step sequencing, i really think a software in 2013 can do it
You would think so wouldn't you. According to ableton - not yet! At first I assumed it was a feature. Why wouldn't it be?! I might not bother with push now.
i'm not sure why that feature would get left out
however there is an amazing combo that can do that and more in live right now
numerology + launchpad

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 pm

ambientidm wrote:
Acid303 wrote:
i'm not sure why that feature would get left out
however there is an amazing combo that can do that and more in live right now
numerology + launchpad
Thanks I will check it out. Really tempted to get Elektron Analog four as I think i'd love the sequencer and parameter locks.

EDIT

Wow thanks so much for that suggestion. It's exactly what i've been looking for!! I think I might need a screen dedicated to it though. If only ableton would do this with push and live! Would be incredible.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 am

[/quote]
EDIT

Wow thanks so much for that suggestion. It's exactly what i've been looking for!! I think I might need a screen dedicated to it though. If only ableton would do this with push and live! Would be incredible.[/quote]

one of the amazing features of numerology is it's modular capabilities
you can route sequencers into each other kind of the same way reason does with its effects and such
stack some modules together and click on the routing tab
i like to route the interval seq pitch out into the mononote interval in
thus the interval seq transposes the mononote
it gets really deep

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

ambientidm wrote: one of the amazing features of numerology is it's modular capabilities
you can route sequencers into each other kind of the same way reason does with its effects and such
it gets really deep
One step at a time :mrgreen:

skatr2

Re: Can Push Step Sequence Mono & Polyphonic Melodies In Key?

Post by skatr2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Acid303 wrote:Question

Pretty gutted about this. Are there any good monophonic / polyphonic step sequencers in max4live at the moment that are just a simple case of clicking on a plugin and using an apc40 or launchpad?
The APC40 Stepseq by Marc can do mono/poly step sequencing for any instrument linked in. The problem from what I see on the *current* setup of push is they directly link the internal stepseq to the drum pads. This could possibly set a max of 16 pads to sequence. Whereas on marc egloff's, you can technically scroll up and down the keyboard for each note (though you are still limited up to I think 8 because he designed his for drums as well).

I will agree though if they could link "non pad" instruments to the top portion that will scroll the length of the keyboard would be nice. Similar to how Hanz petrov's script works.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:03 am

Acid303 wrote:
ambientidm wrote: one of the amazing features of numerology is it's modular capabilities
it gets really deep
One step at a time :mrgreen:
well when you are ready here are a few more tricks
set a scale device before whatever instrument you are going to sequence
for n3 route a interval seq pitch out into chord sequencer interval in
create a short chord sequence and a then an interval sequence
use the key transpose buttons on the chord sequencer and you will have modal chord changes because everything is being constrained into the scale plugin

the key is the scale device in live

i could go on and on
i'm thinking about making some tutorial vids on this

delicioso

Re: Can Push Step Sequence Mono & Polyphonic Melodies In Key?

Post by delicioso » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Acid303 wrote:Question

I have seen that you can step sequence drums using the push controller and that you can play chord and note in key but can you step sequence mono & polyphonic melodies in key? I've seen this with some ipad apps do this so was wondering if push can do it. It'd be a terrible shame if it couldn't really.

Ableton's Response

"At the moment there is only workarounds to use Push in step sequencer mode with other instruments than drumracks.

Still, we are aware of this wish and we are looking into various solutions here.

Keep in mind that Push will also integrate with Max for Live patches, so we are confident it will not take long until our users take Push to the next level!"

Curious limitation especially considering Maschine can step sequence anything not just drums and you can easily step sequence melodies from the Maschine hardware, without any hacks or workarounds.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

It's a bit misleading to suggest drum-racks can only be used for drums...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Having a channel with 'midi from' wouldn't work?? It appears that even though it step sequences drum racks, it still basically creates midi clips. The only missing factor being note duration.

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Does Push make a high-pitched sound that changes according to the LEDs used?

Because the APC40 does, and to me it ruins the device for home recording. I realize not all units make the same amount of noise, but the ones that I've dealt with do. Even a very subtle high-pitched hiss is too much I think.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 am

halblaine wrote:Does Push make a high-pitched sound that changes according to the LEDs used?

Because the APC40 does, and to me it ruins the device for home recording. I realize not all units make the same amount of noise, but the ones that I've dealt with do. Even a very subtle high-pitched hiss is too much I think.
8O someone needs to lay off the payote

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 am

skatr2 wrote:
halblaine wrote:Does Push make a high-pitched sound that changes according to the LEDs used?

8O someone needs to lay off the payote
Certain APC40s were known to do this. (Mine did) It was even acknowledged by Akai.

But if he wants to lay off the payote, you can send it to me. :roll: