Hi Jesse, hope you enjoyed NAMM!
Here's a few Push related Q's for you, whenever you have some time:
- Does Live / Push actually support the touch-sensitivity of the encoders in any useful manner for recording overdubbing parameter automation? I.e., when touch begins, start recording that specific parameter, when touch ends, stop recording, go back to playing automation? So far, I have only seen references to (1) the ability to delete recorded automation for an individual parameter when touching the associated encoder, and (2) showing the name of a parameter associated with an encoder when touching it, but even on the various video demo's, I have seen nothing specifically related to touch-sensitivity and automation recording.
- If this is supported, then how does it exactly work? What MIDI events are used to indicate touch begin / end events for the individual encoders? Can it easily be mimicked by other controllers by tweaking the Push
- Does Push support 14bit MIDI CC#? It seriously should - a cheap BCR-2000 can already do this just fine. Otherwise it means Push can't really be used well enough to control great synths like the new Moog Sub Phatty accurately, which would of course be quite a shame. M4L patches are surely useful, but are definitely not good enough, if only because of the associated latency and lack of PDC for automation.
- Does Live / Push support using the [Shift] button and/or modifier key for fine-tuning? (Pretty much the same as above. If it doesn't support either one, the encoders aren't really that interesting at all, regardless of touch-sensitivity. It would be yet another too low-resolution encoder with too few knobs.)
- Does the Push device receive updates for its display with track / clip / device / parameter names and parameter values in human readable format every time they are changed either on Push or in Live, e.g. by dragging their order around, deleting, moving, renaming, etc.?
- Is there any mechanism in place to prevent 'flooding' with duplicative, and thus redundant MIDI events from being sent in either direction between Live / Push?
- Can the buttons with different quantization settings (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc) also be used to set the resolution of the controls to adjust a clip loop length?