finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by nowtime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 am

Angstrom wrote:

"Quite often i try a quick idea and if its some trite shit then it doesnt deserve saving. So I don't naturally save an empty set, then begin."

This. Because if you always work from a template, it gets improved and tweaked through time and use. If I always first save-as, any improvements I make are to a child-file of the template and not to the working template itself. Fail! I just checked mine and it had almost 3 gigs of unused files.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:44 am

nowtime wrote: This. Because if you always work from a template, it gets improved and tweaked through time and use. If I always first save-as, any improvements I make are to a child-file of the template and not to the working template itself. Fail! I just checked mine and it had almost 3 gigs of unused files.
yeah but even with templates you still have to go back and edit the template, right?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 am

I more or less work with two templates.

one has LOADS of drum loops I've doctored up and tightened over the years. I putz around with it and when I get a beat I like I make a new scene with the beat, delete all the other scenes and effects and save it off in a new project folder under a new name. the moment I make a new project always feels good, "here we go!" it also collects sketches from previous sessions that didn't make it into their own project folder.

the other is for practicing guitar, I loaded up the songs I know and ones I want to learn. sometimes I get into a song and want to pick it apart. again, I make a new scene, delete the rest and make a new project where I can dissect the song.

with a DJ template I have I delete all the scenes and keep the BCR mapping to effects then drop in new songs.

I have backup revisions of those sets in case I delete stuff then hit save at the wrong time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 am

If Live is going to automatically create backup files, e.g. mytemplate.als.BAK, in the folder specified 'Template' it would solve the problem.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 am

I agree that having a built-in Templates feature would be nice, but in the meantime, this is what I did, which works for me:

- Setup my first template, and saved it as Templates. This creates the Templates Project folder.
- Made the needed changes for the other templates, and saved them in the Templates Project folder too.
- I've found it best to not do a collect all and save against your templates.
- I now had all my templates in the same project folder, with no imported audio files in there.
- I changed the .als files to read only.
- I added the Templates Project folder to Places in the browser, and put it below the current project folder.

After starting live, I can either open an .als template file as a whole, or I can expand it, and drag and drop certain tracks directly into my open project.

If I record/import anything before I do a "save as", I'll have audio files in the Templates Project folder. To fix this, I do a collect all and save against my new project, and then clean up the Templates Project folder in Live's browser.

If I want to make changes to one of the template files, I make the .als file writable again. In Live's browser, you can right-click the .als file and select Show in Explorer to get to it.

dnbhallifax

Post by dnbhallifax » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 am

heavensdaw wrote:Mate.. you should just stick to making electronic musak.. save a whole lot of hassle! :lol:

Hd
muzak yeah? :lol:
Oh ye of little faith... :twisted:
https://soundcloud.com/justin-crosby/se ... atic-music

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Livid Instruments ?@lividindustry 39m

Working on this today @Bitwig pic.twitter.com/Yz4dNkoX2e
Retweeted by Bitwig

Dear Livid, Please get a tripod.
Signed - anticipatory nerds

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:56 pm

whoa, bitwig UI looks darker in that shot than other stuff I've seen -- more grey, less orange, heh.

do. want.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:Looking at Bitwig, I could add more then 10 innovations(already done in many post's)
including that all what Live offers is already in Bitwig too.

Bitwig is also fresh from start programmed and has 64bit really working,
where Ableton them self not recommending it(if I'm right)

All these are facts and not made up !

Bitwig developers were the ones with the ideas, but I think some managers wanted to
leave the innovative side and "Push" Live to a money maker.
i just can't help but laugh at these posts... you compare an actual piece of software that is on the market, while some users are complaining (as always) others are perfectly happy with it... yet you compare it to a piece of software that isn't even commercially available or available as a demo... and that essentially exists as a few .jpegs .gifs and as a lot of hype... but this doesn't stop you from speaking of the two products as if the playing field is actually level.

then you have the BUT IT SHOULD DO IT THIS WAY crowd who refuse any workaround that isn't released as a .x update or when suggested to Ableton believe that their response should be a long thank you note with kudos for being so innovative, a potential job offer and a promise to get coding on that idea ASAP

what a bunch of Id-centric self-junkies :roll:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Meanwhile, some users dismiss any issues raised as trivial nit-picking
As if to say "it doesn't affect me, so you guys are ID centric"

Some users dismiss any excitement about a product which contains features they are looking forward to. Some users dismiss other peoples concerns, problems, requirements, and excitement that these might be addressed.
Dismiss them all you like, but I can't help but laugh at these ID centric posts.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 pm

H20nly wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:Looking at Bitwig, I could add more then 10 innovations(already done in many post's)
including that all what Live offers is already in Bitwig too.

Bitwig is also fresh from start programmed and has 64bit really working,
where Ableton them self not recommending it(if I'm right)

All these are facts and not made up !

Bitwig developers were the ones with the ideas, but I think some managers wanted to
leave the innovative side and "Push" Live to a money maker.
i just can't help but laugh at these posts... you compare an actual piece of software that is on the market, while some users are complaining (as always) others are perfectly happy with it... yet you compare it to a piece of software that isn't even commercially available or available as a demo... and that essentially exists as a few .jpegs .gifs and as a lot of hype... but this doesn't stop you from speaking of the two products as if the playing field is actually level.

then you have the BUT IT SHOULD DO IT THIS WAY crowd who refuse any workaround that isn't released as a .x update or when suggested to Ableton believe that their response should be a long thank you note with kudos for being so innovative, a potential job offer and a promise to get coding on that idea ASAP

what a bunch of Id-centric self-junkies :roll:
I'm not sure if my English is so bad or you just like to interpret what you want... :roll:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Angstrom wrote:Meanwhile, some users dismiss any issues raised as trivial nit-picking
As if to say "it doesn't affect me, so you guys are ID centric"

Some users dismiss any excitement about a product which contains features they are looking forward to. Some users dismiss other peoples concerns, problems, requirements, and excitement that these might be addressed.
Dismiss them all you like, but I can't help but laugh at these ID centric posts.
dismissed.

end of the day it's good for all of us when Live or Bitwig are criticized. the problem I see is that some of these guys are very poor writers.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

the problem I see is that some of these guys are very poor writers.
The problem as I see it is that people are way too quick to conflate minor bugs or inconveniences in their workflow with a showstopping, application-crippling flaws in the fundamental design and basic functioning of the program, and you end up with a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation when it comes to people reporting legitimate flaws.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

agent314 wrote:The problem as I see it is that people are way too quick to conflate minor bugs or inconveniences in their workflow with a showstopping, application-crippling flaws in the fundamental design and basic functioning of the program, and you end up with a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation when it comes to people reporting legitimate flaws.
Er------go!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 pm

WOLF ! :twisted: