MIDI timing and latency correlation

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
olafmol

Post by olafmol » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:03 am

chymera wrote:
olafmol wrote:it's a fact that Live currently doesn't compensate for midi latency Olaf
erm... there is an option to set the midi output and input latency in preferences? I use it... or have I not got your drift?

you are right...just this weekend we synced live with a jomox x-base through an emagic AMT8, with no problems at all, no fluctuations, and indeed, you could compensate for midi delay, worked perfectly

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:22 pm

as the originator of the thread i urge you to stay on topic please. this is NOT about latency compensation, its about 'unstable', 'drifting' or 'whacky' midi timing - whatever you call it and has nothing to do with latency, which is constant and can be easily compensated in every other program except ableton live.. but thats a different problem.

i would REALLY like to hear some statement from ableton about the timing problem finally... heck, it's more than 2 years that i'm waiting on a solution!

:evil:

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:34 am

i've tested on a PC with both an emagic AMT8 and edirol UM880 midi interface...the timing sounded solid enough for my ears, i used drumpatterns to make a good comparisation...did you try another midi interface yet?

Olaf

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:13 am

olafmol wrote:i've tested on a PC with both an emagic AMT8 and edirol UM880 midi interface...the timing sounded solid enough for my ears, i used drumpatterns to make a good comparisation...did you try another midi interface yet?
yes, i tried both with RME Hammerfall Multiface and Midiman Midisport 2x2 USB - makes no difference.

have you tried increasing your soundcard buffer (latency)? in my case the unstable midi timing gets more noticable with increased latency, e.g. at < 5ms its hardly noticable but unfortunatly i cant stay that low permanently as i'm getting audio dropouts.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:42 am

[double post deleted]

nominal

Post by nominal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:30 pm

chymera wrote:
olafmol wrote:it's a fact that Live currently doesn't compensate for midi latency Olaf
erm... there is an option to set the midi output and input latency in preferences? I use it... or have I not got your drift?
you are talking about sync latency. This is adjustable. We are mostly talking about MIDI trigger latency

nominal

Post by nominal » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:33 pm

Hexdump wrote:as the originator of the thread i urge you to stay on topic please. this is NOT about latency compensation, its about 'unstable', 'drifting' or 'whacky' midi timing - whatever you call it and has nothing to do with latency, which is constant and can be easily compensated in every other program except ableton live.. but thats a different problem.

i would REALLY like to hear some statement from ableton about the timing problem finally... heck, it's more than 2 years that i'm waiting on a solution!

:evil:

okay sorry. Maybe I should start my own post about trigger latency.

Although unstable sync is bothersome to us also.

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:18 am

Hexdump wrote:
olafmol wrote:i've tested on a PC with both an emagic AMT8 and edirol UM880 midi interface...the timing sounded solid enough for my ears, i used drumpatterns to make a good comparisation...did you try another midi interface yet?
yes, i tried both with RME Hammerfall Multiface and Midiman Midisport 2x2 USB - makes no difference.

have you tried increasing your soundcard buffer (latency)? in my case the unstable midi timing gets more noticable with increased latency, e.g. at < 5ms its hardly noticable but unfortunatly i cant stay that low permanently as i'm getting audio dropouts.
i will try, for my understanding: is the trouble in the midi sync (with midi clock) or in midi note triggering?

Olaf

nominal

Post by nominal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:50 am

still nothing on this. hm. :roll:

scyhte

Post by scyhte » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:29 pm

didn't read the whole topic but i seem to have the same problem here.
it seems the more cpu is used, the clock is getting more and more unstable. when i sync my esx to live, the drums on the esx seem to be shifted back and forth out of the grid. :/
so on 1% cpu usage the clock runs smooth without problems but if i increase the cpu usage to 80% the esx shuffles extremely. what the heck?!
tried it with pattern and song mode, no difference...
Asus F3Sv 2x2.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, WinXP | Edirol FA-66 Firewire | Live 7.0.2