Just won a JP8000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri May 30, 2008 6:55 pm

mate, it's a really awesome synth and after 6 or so years of having mine, i still learn new things about it :)

you wont be disappointed in the trance factor.. supersaw's forever!

Arnold-Rimmer

Post by Arnold-Rimmer » Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Arnold-Rimmer wrote:I would never buy hardware again. Why bother when there is software that does so much more?
not everyone works like you, this kind of argument happens a lot, it's quite myopic.
To quote a guy called Larry wall:

"Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club someone to death with a loaded Uzi."

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Tone Deft wrote: it is when you don't have and can't afford one.

sorry, machinedrums are the Ben Davis of drum synths.

you're giving me GAS, STOP!!!
heh, fair enough

*googling Ben Davis....*
spreader of butter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 7:03 pm

Arnold-Rimmer wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
Arnold-Rimmer wrote:I would never buy hardware again. Why bother when there is software that does so much more?
not everyone works like you, this kind of argument happens a lot, it's quite myopic.
To quote a guy called Larry wall:

"Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club someone to death with a loaded Uzi."
looks like an interesting guy, inventor of Perl. linear scans being a bad idea because associative arrays are linked lists and inherently non-linear?

check the studio pics... some of the guys doing really synth heavy great tracks have studios that are just a small keyboard, some speakers and maybe a control device, then you've got other guys who have tons of hardware, you just never know how others are going to work, it's a big world. the other day some poster was saying they hardly ever use session view, sounds strange but why the hell not? sound quality between hardware and software - dead end thread. build quality - dead end thread. horses for courses.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 pm

sweetjesus wrote:mate, it's a really awesome synth and after 6 or so years of having mine, i still learn new things about it :)

shit, there ya go, endorsement from a paid musician. add a fuckload of sidechain compression and a chick talking dirty into the mic, you're set! (time and talent aside.)

SJ - damnit, you took that back alley buttsecks track down from your myspace, you gonna make me buy it?!?! how so very Viacom of you.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Tone Deft wrote:the other day some poster was saying they hardly ever use session view, sounds strange but why the hell not?
because it's wrong. very wrong. it's the wrong thing. to do. it's /// wrong.

I hope they lance that 'arrange view' off like the malignant cyst that it is.
spreader of butter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 7:16 pm

b0unce wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:the other day some poster was saying they hardly ever use session view, sounds strange but why the hell not?
because it's wrong. very wrong. it's the wrong thing. to do. it's /// wrong.

I hope they lance that 'arrange view' off like the malignant cyst that it is.
automation recording has us by the sack on that one.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm

oh, how my balls ache
spreader of butter

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 7:30 pm

sweetjesus wrote:mate, it's a really awesome synth and after 6 or so years of having mine, i still learn new things about it :)

Nice to get a view on the thing from someone who isn't an obvious trance-hater though these boards are overrun. No real obvious ones in this thread though, TD just hates tiesto hehe
add a fuckload of sidechain compression
Always end up a mix by sidechaining the mix comp to the kick. Just gives that *wtf* effect

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

shit, there ya go, endorsement from a paid musician. add a fuckload of sidechain compression and a chick talking dirty into the mic, you're set! (time and talent aside.)

SJ - damnit, you took that back alley buttsecks track down from your myspace, you gonna make me buy it?!?! how so very Viacom of you.
i cant help being a media mogul..

actually if u wanna show me how much u love me, dont buy the buttsex song.. grab "Love From Nothing" and ill send over the buttsex song :P

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 7:38 pm

THAT'S A WHOLE DOLLAR MORE!!! you're killing me man, killing me!!

nevermind - forge's ftp server to the resuce!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 pm

Congrats Fool! I got mine for $500 US dollars. Be sure to mess around with the feedback oscillator, it gets real nasty. Also, the freely assignable ribbon controller is cool as well.

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 8:10 pm

suburbanbather wrote:Congrats Fool! I got mine for $500 US dollars. Be sure to mess around with the feedback oscillator, it gets real nasty. Also, the freely assignable ribbon controller is cool as well.
Cool :)
Paid a little more than 500$ but again the $ is low at the moment so i'll probably be fine hehe

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:11 pm

For what it's worth, my friend uses it for hip-hop.

His myspace is: http://www.myspace.com/jzoneoldmaid

His stuff is a combination of samples and the JP8000, it's hard to hear where the sounds are from he has them mixed together so well.

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 pm

contakt321 wrote:For what it's worth, my friend uses it for hip-hop.

His myspace is: http://www.myspace.com/jzoneoldmaid

His stuff is a combination of samples and the JP8000, it's hard to hear where the sounds are from he has them mixed together so well.
thats pretty interesting hehe

I guess it can do a lot of things on top of superwaves and trance hehe