Shop for me. What frickin' synth do I want?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Atomikat wrote:+11 for the DSI Evolver (desktop), I use one with a midi keyboard and don't notice latency (some guy said so...). Also, I use a Micron and the Electribes (ESX & EMX)...love them...they're small,good sounding,sexy,etc. It's not that you need to have the biggest and more expensive device to sound good...it's all about being creative,experiment,try...with what you have.
What did they do 30 years ago without all the technology we have now? and their music is still around...because they got the most of their equipment available at the moment. :wink:
I'm jus' gonna go with SUPER-WORD for that post, Atom.

*high five*
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Re the look of the Andromeda, I think SOS got it right... their review was called Battlesynth Galactica.
Image Image

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 pm

polyslax wrote:Re the look of the Andromeda, I think SOS got it right... their review was called Battlesynth Galactica.
Oh, those SOS boys and their punnery...!!! *chortle*
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:56 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
polyslax wrote:Re the look of the Andromeda, I think SOS got it right... their review was called Battlesynth Galactica.
Oh, those SOS boys and their punnery...!!! *chortle*
Indeed!

Still, I may need one...
Image Image

lola

Post by lola » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:30 pm

logic_user99 wrote:LMFAO. That's one ugly mother, innit! FAR too many knobs for my liking... I'm all about the menus, me!
I love mine, great sounding analog synth, to bad alesis does not support it anymore.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 pm

I stupidly sold mine... but .... very VA ... it's actually the MS2000 engine... in a small casing...
LOVE IT...I like synths I can fit in a bagpack....

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm

i love the person who claims to love the sound of the prophet, but not the mopho. um, you do know the mopho is just one voice of the prophet, right (with subosc)? so if you love the sound of the prophet, you love the sound of the mopho?

i agree with all those saying just go with what sounds good to you. i saw a guy get phenomenal sounds out of a cheap casio recently, it's the player, not the machine (ok, some machines really can't be saved, but most have some kind of charm).

lola

Post by lola » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:19 pm

3dot... wrote:I stupidly sold mine... but .... very VA ... it's actually the MS2000 engine... in a small casing...

Yea that's a cool synthi!
I recently bought a mfb synth2, which also is cheap and PHAT..love this monophonic synth with seq.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm

3dot... wrote:I stupidly sold mine... but .... very VA ... it's actually the MS2000 engine... in a small casing...

why won't this picture load???
What is it?
I WUNNA KNOW....
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

benmiron

Post by benmiron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:35 pm

I get amazing sounds out of my "toy" casio mt-70.

It hasnt got many choices but it has like 4-5 sounds that are amazing. Effect them a little bit and you have a lot more options.

Its absolutely about the player and the usage of the tool.

That being said my casio cant be sequenced or do a lot of other cool things :wink: .

You gotta find a set of tools that work for you.

I have 3 synths now if you include my casio a Juno 106 and a MicroKorg.

Between those and a few soft synths I can get a lot of sounds.

I am looking to buy another synth at some point though heh... cant get enough.

I think my next buy is gonna be a DSI cause thye are beasts and look like they have a lot of different funcitons. Ireally dont have one proper expensive synth as you can see from the list.

I like my toys though.

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:14 pm

dj superflat wrote:i love the person who claims to love the sound of the prophet, but not the mopho. um, you do know the mopho is just one voice of the prophet, right (with subosc)? so if you love the sound of the prophet, you love the sound of the mopho?

i agree with all those saying just go with what sounds good to you. i saw a guy get phenomenal sounds out of a cheap casio recently, it's the player, not the machine (ok, some machines really can't be saved, but most have some kind of charm).
My friend has the prophet and it sounds really nice. I dont care what the mopho claims to have...its sounds weak compared to the Prophet (Since ur comparing). The prophet has 8 voices not 1 (plus a sub osc) if indeed thats what the mopho has.

Now i havent read too much into the spec of the mopho yet, but i stand by my words and i felt it sounded weak, You cannot compare that thing to a Prophet :lol:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

foogermooger wrote:
dj superflat wrote:i love the person who claims to love the sound of the prophet, but not the mopho. um, you do know the mopho is just one voice of the prophet, right (with subosc)? so if you love the sound of the prophet, you love the sound of the mopho?

My friend has the prophet and it sounds really nice. I dont care what the mopho claims to have...its sounds weak compared to the Prophet (Since ur comparing). The prophet has 8 voices not 1 (plus a sub osc) if indeed thats what the mopho has.

Now i havent read too much into the spec of the mopho yet, but i stand by my words and i felt it sounded weak, You cannot compare that thing to a Prophet :lol:
MoPho iz a mono Prophet ...

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Do I smell some MoPho hatin' going on? :lol:

Reaktor is serving up some wonderful sounds for me at the moment. Smashing! I've put the Micron/eVolver/Microkorg plan on hold for a short while (probably 'til after christmas when all the stores have their clear-out sales!)

If I spy a cheap MPC 1/2k or 1k on eBay, I think I might pick one o' them up for the interim. Hand-programming beats with a drum-rack just isn't working for me at the moment... (and I know there's a million and one threads on that kinda thing)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 pm

3dot... wrote:
foogermooger wrote:

MoPho iz a mono Prophet ...
So it is :) Just had a read about it and found this interesting.

“The challenge with Mopho was to deliver the renowned sound quality of a single voice of the Prophet ’08 in a package that would be affordable for a much broader group of players and recording artists without sacrificing the performance features so important to making an analogue synth really sing.”

All i am trying to say is i was not "that" impressed with the sounds i heard from it....and i still dont like it even if it is a mono Prophet.
I was excited by the Mopho until i heard it. I have heard better in that price range, much better. Im dissapointed with it.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 pm

um, yeah, you're backtracking, rather than just admiting you can't say the prophet sounds better than the mopho cause they're the same (though the mopho has the added spice of the subosc and the ability to process audio). don't get me wrong, i could care less if you don't like the mopho. just don't fall for the placebo of thinking the more expensive prophet sounds better somehow. that's like claiming the polyevolver sounds better than the monoevolver. or, if you're just saying the prophet has more voices, yeah, that's kinda what "mono" means, so thx for the insight.

as for reaktor, i continually ask myself why i need anything other than reaktor, for synths, fx, samplers, whatever. i really can't get enough of the reaktor synths soundwise, plus some of them have ridiculously cool/fun interfaces.