O/T Billy Bob Thornton Being a Prick (Band Interview)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: O/T Billy Bob Thornton Being a Prick (Band Interview)

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:25 pm

cosmosuave wrote:I agree but the interviewer introduced as an Academy award winner and that was it...
and that's where the interviewer's fail began, great piss off BBT before the interview even begins.
BBT acted like a baby and must have an inferiority complex about being an actor/musician and the reviews that he must receive being so...
acting like a baby? the interviewer went OT, so he went OT.

inferiority complex? I don't get that at all.
I for one and am not big on actors that think they can be rock stars and rock stars that think they can be actors, when there a lot of far superior bands out there that have to slug it out to survive... Using your stardom to cross the line into acting or being a musician is bullshit but hey that's how it works...
have you listened to ANY of his music? you're more guilty, you're the one forcing the connection between him and his music, he's the one trying to shake that.
If you want to both then be a Broadway actor in Oaklahoma...
he was doing music before acting. his band is completely legit, they put out several albums a year and lately have been touring with Willie. he has more right to call himself a musician than you (for example).

totally invented drama, it's not even very dramatic.

ranting on the message, not the messenger. I think BBT got screwed.

wanna see a real asshole in an interview? Johnny Lydon with Tom Snyder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZ2UoBZzEI
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Parisongs

Post by Parisongs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 pm

Tone Deft is MONEY.
The PRODUCER is instructed to conduct this interview on the basis of musical merit only. Right out of the gate, this asshole interviewer mentions the acting carreer.You can see BBT's reaction in the background to this intro? BBT is like "what the fuck? This guy won't take instructions." I call this little "acting" behavior by BBT - "HOW DOES IT FEEL??" In other words- How does it feel to have someone just SAY ANYTHING THEY WANT?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 pm

beats me wrote:For the 356th time I have to agree with Tone Deft here, without having seen the video.

Here I am middle management in a large corporation and there's still people who only remember me as the kid that delivered their Sunday paper. Let it go.
That's different though. Sunday paper boy is in no way a solid in to the same people that get you middle management jobs. Huge celebrity actor is in every way an in to the same people who get you tour dates with Willie Nelson. It's possible that is was somehow not related, but HIGHLY unlikely.

To force interviewers to ignore your celebrity status to try to focus on the music is one thing, to not acknowledge that your celebrity status helps sell your records and get your foot in the door in the business side of the music industry, by trying to force them to not mention it at all is another.

Beyond this, he could have been having a bad day, that would be the absolute worst part of celebrity IMO.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:59 pm

I think the interviewer did the interviewee a favour by diverting attention from the music to his acting , because his music is a derivative pile of shit. Yeah, Billy, why don't you take the most banal and cliché aspects of two diffirent genres, mesh them together and then rant at some interview because he didn't follow proper regal protocal. And the whole, "would you ask Jesus that question, I mean come on, we're both gods--how could you have the audacity to ask me that which you would not ask of the other lords. I'm glad I saw this, now I can finally put my Bad Santa DVD on EBAY. But yeah, Billy got totally screwed, a flippin' tragedy there. Does anyone know if he's still on suicide watch.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 am

scott nathaniel wrote:I think the interviewer did the interviewee a favour by diverting attention from the music to his acting , because his music is a derivative pile of shit. Yeah, Billy, why don't you take the most banal and cliché aspects of two diffirent genres, mesh them together and then rant at some interview because he didn't follow proper regal protocal. And the whole, "would you ask Jesus that question, I mean come on, we're both gods--how could you have the audacity to ask me that which you would not ask of the other lords. I'm glad I saw this, now I can finally put my Bad Santa DVD on EBAY. But yeah, Billy got totally screwed, a flippin' tragedy there. Does anyone know if he's still on suicide watch.
lol @ drama queen.

sweetie pie - they openly admit to their music being derivative, that's why they like it. apparently he did the interview under the guise that it was about the music, pretty simple, the interviewer failed at his job.

nobody cares if you don't like the music, honestly, we don't, and it's irrelevant.

Bad Santa - awesome movie. "I didn't shit right for a month." :lol:

MW - you're making assumptions that you have no clue about. your argument is based around him using celebrity to get contracts. there's no basis for that whatsoever. if the interview shows one thing it's that BBT would probably rather kill himself before pulling a move like that. drop the hate for a second and think about it.

did either of you actually listen to his albums before posting?

a youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhPt5rTXZE8
it's pretty much what they said.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 am

Tone Deft wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote:I think the interviewer did the interviewee a favour by diverting attention from the music to his acting , because his music is a derivative pile of shit. Yeah, Billy, why don't you take the most banal and cliché aspects of two diffirent genres, mesh them together and then rant at some interview because he didn't follow proper regal protocal. And the whole, "would you ask Jesus that question, I mean come on, we're both gods--how could you have the audacity to ask me that which you would not ask of the other lords. I'm glad I saw this, now I can finally put my Bad Santa DVD on EBAY. But yeah, Billy got totally screwed, a flippin' tragedy there. Does anyone know if he's still on suicide watch.

"Nobody cares if you like Bad Santa, honestly, we don't, it's irrelevant."
But it does appear that your Billy Bob pole cleaning is based upon your preference for him as an actor. Billy wouldn't be too happy with that.
:lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:23 am

scott nathaniel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

"Nobody cares if you like Bad Santa, honestly, we don't, it's irrelevant."
But it does appear that your Billy Bob pole cleaning is based upon your preference for him as an actor. Billy wouldn't be too happy with that.
:lol:
that's all you got? seriously, that's your entry into the discussion?

one of you other assholes teach junior how to flame someone.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

LP

Post by LP » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:24 am

Tone Deft

I'm not sure you actually heard the whole interview. It was clearly set up to be about music, and although he was introduced as a musician with an acting and directing career, it was never set up to be about anything other than music, but BBT flipped for mentioning the elephant in the room. And the CBC doesn't force their hosts to follow the demands of the subjects like crap commercial media does, thus maintaining some journalistic integrity. Gian kept giving BBT opportunities to redeem himself instead of acting like a petulant tool, but he instead focused on insulting Canadians for actually listening to music at concerts instead of doing what he prefers, which is people throwing things at each other at concerts. Presumably so they don't listen to his music, and maybe might mistake him for Tom Petty.

So assy.

There actually is such a thing as bad publicity, it just takes effort.
Last edited by LP on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 am

Tone Deft wrote:

That's what I got, and it appears it got you, because you needed to call in reinforcement. Are you a pussy? That would explain the pole cleaning job. :mrgreen:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:31 am

LP wrote:Tone Def

I don't think you actually heard the whole interview.
I watched and listened to the whole thing.

It was clearly set up to be about music,
I don't think you watched it. BBT clearly stated that the interviewer or the producer was instructed to leave the acting out of it.

and although he was introduced as a musician with an acting and directing career, it was never set up to be about anything other than music,
again, clearly it was.
but BBT flipped for mentioning the elephant in the room.
he flipped out?? jesus christ, that's not a flip out.

And the CBC doesn't force their hosts to follow the demands of the subjects like crap commercial media does, thus maintaining some journalistic integrity.
it's called professional courtesy, or just being polite.

Gian kept giving BBT opportunities to redeem himself instead of acting like a petulant tool,
he treated the interviewer exactly like he was being treated. they discussed this literally right after BBT went off about the Monster sculpting competition.

but he instead focused on insulting Canadians for actually listening to music at concerts instead of doing what he prefers, which is people throwing things at each other at concerts.
he insulted Canadians, who cares.

Presumably so they don't listen to his music, and maybe might mistake him for Tom Petty.
the only reason Tom Petty was mentioned was as an example of someone you wouldn't go OT on in an interview.

you didn't watch it. watch it with a clear head, no agenda. I watched it waiting for the flip out that never happened, then I thought BBT was off his meds, then they talked about how BBT was going OT because the interviewer went OT, made total sense.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:32 am

scott nathaniel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

That's what I got, and it appears it got you, because you needed to call in reinforcement. Are you a pussy? That would explain the pole cleaning job. :mrgreen:
it's a discussion on the interview, this is all you have?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 am

Tone Deft wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

it's a discussion on the interview, this is all you have?
I told you how I felt about the interview. I think you're assement is unjustly biased in Billy's favour. I don't agree, that's all. I think Billy was figuretively speaking, a guest in someone elses house; there should be a little mutual respect, you know. The interviewer is doing a job that requires a bit of improv and on the fly creativity. The guy, in my humble opinion, wasn't intentionally trying to disregard Billy. I buy his using the intro as a context setting. You can't see that in the slightest bit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 am

scott nathaniel wrote:I think Billy was figuretively speaking, a guest in someone elses house
it's business, not hosting people in your home. BBT stated that he was insulted by the implications that the music came after the acting. the interviewer insulted his love of music and belittled how much he puts into it. can you relate to that? someone insulting your love of music when you're there to do an interview based only on your band. you're trying to get cred for YOUR BAND but the world only sees you as something else.
there should be a little mutual respect, you know. The interviewer is doing a job that requires a bit of improv and on the fly creativity.
so you agree it's a job. it was interesting watching him navigate this, he's a nice guy that didn't know he crossed a line.
The guy, in my humble opinion, wasn't intentionally trying to disregard Billy. I buy his using the intro as a context setting. You can't see that in the slightest bit.
it was not intentional at all. I'd blame the producer, and the fact that it's 6am.

watch starting at 7:10 see BBT shaking his head back and forth when the interviewer is saying he wasn't instructed, then it dawns on the interviewer that the producer did mention it.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 am

:wink: those canadians would screw up a wet dream!!!!!
Last edited by john gordon on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LP

Post by LP » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:57 am

Tone Deft

BBT's love of music was not questioned at all, but perhaps both you and BBT cannot recognize sincerity and hear only sarcasm, and cannot understand that the CBC has more integrity than any US media and that the hosts will not cow before celebrities petty demands. And thus also doesn't need to follow simplistic ideas about "business" in order to have a national talk show.

Please never come to Canada, as I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it either, what with all the reasoned debate and respectful disagreement.